Join our musical community!
Join the Lawrence Children’s Choir for our 2022-2023 season, which begins in August of 2022.
Sing with one of our four choirs in a safe, fun and vigorous environment by registering or signing up for a meet-and-sing today.
Partial and full-tuition scholarships are available, and everyone is welcome to join!
Our two youngest choirs do not require an audition, simply a love of music and fun. They are:
Capo: (Non-Auditioned, Pre-K and Kindergarten [3-6 years old])
A choir serving our youngest singers, Capo musically engages children through singing games and singable songs in a small group environment. This choir rehearses in small sections to foster a personal, lively and joyful environment. Rehearsals are Tuesday evenings (5:00-5:35 pm or 5:40-6:15, parent/guardian attends rehearsals with singer) and are held in two 8-week sessions, the first beginning in September, 2022 and the second beginning in January of 2023.
Cadenza: (Non-Auditioned, 1st-3rd Grade)
The singers of Cadenza build on their love of music and begin to develop fundamentals of choral technique and ensemble awareness. A wide variety of age-appropriate music is explored in an engaging environment, where fun and skill development are seamlessly interwoven. Rehearsals are Tuesday evenings (5:00-5:45 pm, parent/guardian does not attend rehearsal) and and are held in two 8-week sessions, the first beginning in September of 2022 and the second beginning in January of 2023.
For the maturing musician we offer two auditioned choirs that focus on developmentally appropriate singing technique, ensemble development, diverse repertoire and the joyous rigor of a professional choral education. They are:
Choristers: (Auditioned, 3rd-6th Grade)
Choristers offers a foundational musical experience for the developing singer, focusing on appropriate vocal technique, professional performance skills, diverse repertoire and ensemble-focused singing. Rehearsals are active and engaging, fostering each singer’s personal investment and natural gifts. Rehearsals are Tuesday evenings (5:00-5:45 pm, parent/guardian does not attend rehearsal) from August 2022 through April 2023 (including a Winter Break).
Sign up for a “meet-and-sing” below, with times available in May and June of 2022.
Tour Choir: (Auditioned, 6th-10th Grade)
The Tour Choir of LCC is the organization’s flagship choir, providing young singers with a nationally recognized choral experience that teaches both professional musicianship and life skills. An ensemble for those who love singing and community, the Tour Choir’s rigorous rehearsals challenge and motivate singers to explore new levels of musical and cultural awareness, personal preparation, and ensemble sensitivity, culminating in a vast array of public performance, outreach and tour opportunities. Rehearsals are Monday evenings (6:00-7:30 pm, parent/guardian does not attend rehearsal) from August 2022 through May 2023 (including an overnight retreat in August 2022, a Winter Break, and a June 2023 tour).
Sign up for a “meet-and-sing” below, with times available in May and June, 2022.
The auditions for the Lawrence Children’s Choir are designed to be a warm, low-stress experience where we get to know each singer, their voice, previous musical experience and other interests. In fact, we like to call it a "meet-and-sing", not an audition!
It is also a time for you to get to know us, ask questions about logistics and teaching philosophy, and see if LCC is a good fit for you. We hope you’ll join us!
The "meet-and-sing" will be comprised of the following activities:
Registration (10 minutes, completed before scheduled audition time)
- Registration form, to be filled out by parent/guardian
- Musical assessment form, to be filled out by singer
Singing (10 minutes, open audition format with singer, parent/guardian, LCC Artistic Director, LCC accompanist)
- Sing one piece (“Happy Birthday” for Choristers audition, “Star Spangled Banner” for Tour Choir audition)
- Pitch memory exercise (a series of pitches will be sung, singer sings them back)
- Sight reading exercise (a short written musical phrase will be shared, singer sings it back as best they can)
- Range check (singer will sing repeated phrase to show range)
- Questions/discussion (the most important part! A chance for any questions, discussion, etc.)
How to sign up for a meet-and-sing time:
- Use the calendar below to sign up for a time slot. First choose a day, then a time that works for you, entering the required information to secure your slot.
- Please arrive at least 10 minutes before your scheduled time. This will allow both parent/guardian and student to complete the required paperwork before singing. For example if you sign up for a 6:15 pm time slot please be in the church filling out paperwork no later than 6:05 pm.
- Masks are optional for the audition process; please make the choice that you are the most comfortable with, and we will support you fully. All LCC staff are fully vaccinated.
- Auditions will be held at Trinity Lutheran Church (1245 New Hampshire). Please park in the parking lot located East of the church (NW corner of 13th Street and Rhode Island Street) and access the church through the main double doors at the Northeast corner of the building. See attached map for parking and entrance location.
Sign up for a meet-and-sing time using the Calendar below:
(Please arrive at least 10 minutes before your scheduled time to complete audition registration)